Amazing Facts, Figures And Statistics About Facebook Of Last 8 Years !By Shilpa Shree on February 5, 2013
Eight years ago this week, Facebook was born. And, till date you may have encountered multiple write-ups speaking about Facebook Facts, figures, statistics. Can we imagine life before it? “TheFacebook” was launched on February 4, 2004; the site has turned eight years old now. On this note we would love to take you to the most memorable moments about Facebook from 2004-2013.
Did you ever imagine toady’s social networking titan would grow this big and be so popular that we miss something if we don’t log-in this site at least a day ??
Facebook went public in May 2012 with a valuation of $104 billion with $38 per share, making it one of the fastest growing company in the history to touch $100 billion mark.
- Facebook was launched for internet users in 2004 after few test-and-try launches confined for only Mark’s University students.
- It saw 1 million users in December 2004.
- In December 2005 it noticed 5.5 million members that are up, 4.5 million member increases, just in a year. 60% log-in per day and about 85% log in at least once a week, and 93% log in at least once a month.
- Facebook launched a high-school version in September 2005, which Zuckerberg called the” next logical step”.
- Facebook later expanded membership eligibility to employees of several companies, including Apple Inc. and Microsoft.
- Facebook saw 12 million users, a 41% increase from 2005.
- On September 6, 2006, a “News Feed” was announced, which appears on every user’s homepage and highlights information including profile changes, upcoming events, and birthdays of the user’s friends.
- “Facebook Notes” was introduced on August 22, 2006, a blogging feature that allowed tags and embeddable images.
- Facebook was then opened on September 26, 2006, to everyone of age 13 and older with a valid email address.
- In a 2006 study noticed that, Facebook was named the second most popular thing among undergraduates, tied with beer and only ranked lower than the iPod.
- October 2007, Facebook noticed 50 million users on its site.
- Facebook launched Gifts on February 8, 2007, which allows users to send virtual gifts to their friends that appear on the recipient’s profile.
- On May 14, 2007, Facebook launched “Marketplace“, which lets users post free classified ads.
- Facebook launched its gaming platform in 2007.
- Late in 2007, Facebook had 100,000 business pages, allowing companies to attract potential customers and tell about themselves. These started as group pages, but a new concept called company pages was planned.
- On October 24, 2007, Microsoft announced that it had purchased a 1.6% share of Facebook for $240 million, giving Facebook a total implied value of around $15 billion. Microsoft’s purchase included rights to place international ads on Facebook.
- As of august 26, 2008 its user base was noted to be 100 million.
- On July 20, 2008, Facebook introduced “Facebook Beta“, a significant redesign of its user interface on selected networks.
- In October 2008, Facebook announced that it would set up its international headquarters in Dublin, Ireland.
- According to comScore, Facebook is the leading social networking site based on monthly unique visitors, having overtaken main competitor MySpace in April 2008.
- In 2008, Collins English Dictionary declared “Facebook” as its new Word of the Year.
- The statistics of September 15, 2009 noticed 300 million users.
- In January 2009, Compete.com study ranked Facebook as the most used social networking service by worldwide monthly active users.
- On June 13, 2009, Facebook introduced a “Usernames” feature, whereby pages can be linked with simpler URLs.
- In December 2009, the New Oxford American Dictionary declared its word of the year to be the verb “unfriend“.
- July 21, 2010 Facebook’s user base peaked to 500 million members.
- Facebook platform launched “Like” button in April 21 2010.
- ComScore reports that Facebook attracted 130 million unique visitors in May 2010, an increase of 8.6 million people.
- A new Messaging platform, code-named “Project Titan“, was launched on November 15, 2010.
- Traffic to Facebook increased steadily after 2009. More people visited Facebook than Google for the week ending March 13, 2010.
- Facebook observed 800 million users as of September 22, 2011.
- On July 6, 2011, Facebook launched its video calling services using Skype as its technology partner.
- According to the Nielsen Media Research study, released in December 2011, Facebook is the second most accessed website in the US (behind Google).
- In March 2011, it was reported that Facebook removes approximately 20,000 profiles from the site every day for various infractions, including spam, inappropriate content and underage use, as part of its efforts to boost cyber security.
- On September 14, 2011, Facebook added a “Subscribe” button on their page, which allows users to subscribe to public postings by the user without any need for them to add them as a friend.
- In the month of June 2011 DoubleClick noted that Facebook reached one trillion page views, making it the most visited website of those tracked by DoubleClick.
- The biggest milestone for Facebook came this year when it went public with valuation of more than $100 Billion.
- Facebook brags 1.06 billion MAUs , Facebook‘s Q4 2012 earnings report highlighted that, the company’s revenue increased by 40% to $1.59 billion compared to the same quarter of 2011. and, this was said to be the first time mobile DAU’s surpassed desktop DAU’s.
- Facebook acquired Instagram for $1 billion.
- In March 2012, Facebook announced App Center, an online mobile store which sells applications that connect to Facebook. The store will be available to iPhone, Android and mobile web users.
- On 7 June 2012, Facebook launched its “App Center” to its users. It will help the users in finding games and other applications with ease.Since the launch of the App Center, Facebook has seen 150M monthly users with 2.4 times the installation of apps. On August 23, 2012, Facebook released the much anticipated update to its iOS app, version 5.0.
- On January 15, 2013, Facebook announced their new product Graph Search, which provides users with a “precise answer” rather than a link to an answer by leveraging the data already present on its site.
- On Jan 28, 2013 – Facebook updated its iOS appto version 5.4, giving users a few new features in what could be one of the world’s most complex and layered mobile apps.
You may also like...
About DazeinfoDazeinfo is a leading technology, media and marketing Internet property which is focused on market intelligence, advisory services, strategic consulting and communication design for information technology. We specialize in Smartphone, Social Media, Internet and the Gaming Industry.Dazeinfo helps IT professionals, business executives and the investment communities make fact-based decisions on innovative yet effective technology adoptions and business strategies. For more than 2 years, Dazeinfo has provided strategic insights to help our clients achieve their key business objectives.
- facebook android report Google+ samsung india social media Apple apple. twitter Microsoft study infographic iOS IPhone IPad Nokia Smartphone linkedin mobile Blackberry Tablet Video US Finance RIM Internet marketing Amazon revenue windows phone Windows 8 iPhone 5 Kindle fire htc china Google youtube social news iPad Mini