State Of Internet: Facts, Figures And Statistics Of 2012
This is about the roundup of internet stats, figures and facts of 2012, containing the comprehensive numbers of complete year, 2012. It completely consists of Email, Websites, domains names, web servers etc in 2012. From the internet user base in 2012 to the web server software market share is been covered.
Email Statistics 2012
Electronic mail is commonly referred to as “email” this is a commonly used way to exchange digital messages. The usage of the email has revolutionized to a much forwarded model. Neither the users nor their computers are required to be online simultaneously. The email usage has grown gigantically, check out the points below for a brief out.
- Worldwide, there are 2.2 billion email users, 4.3 billion emails clients and total traffic email gained per day is 144 billion. 61% of email shares were considered to be non-essential and 0.22% of emails compromised some form of phishing attack.
- The leading email provider worldwide — Gmail — has 425 million active users globally. It’s said that, 35.6% was the usage share of the most popular email client, which was mail for iOS .
- Spam gained 68.8% of all email traffic and astoundingly, 50.76% of spam was about pharmaceuticals.
- According to the Internet World Stats, India has achieved 10.2% internet penetration at 12.1 crore users as of December 2011. Of which 37% of the users access Facebook.
Web pages, websites, and web hosting
A website is a set of related web pages containing content such as text, images, video, audio, etc which are widely used by companies to portray, about them, their products, online purchase option etc. Here are few ultimate things which happened in 2012.
- Number of websites globally was counted as 634 million (December) in which, 51 million websites were newly added last year.
- The U.S top 1 million websites contribute to 43% of the share and the top 10,000 websites which are hosted by open source software contribute to 75% of share.
- There are 59.4 million WordPress sites worldwide in which, top 100 blog sites that run WordPress contribute 48% of shares. Interestingly, web-pages which run by WordPress are viewed 3.5 billion times each month.
- Last year Reddit.com saw 37 billion page-views. While, Google Sites saw 191 million visitors and it is rightly called as the number 1 web property in the U.S. in November.
- The average web page was 35% larger during 2012 and, the average web page became 4% slower to load during 2012.
Web Servers Statistics 2012
Web server can be referred to either the hardware or the software that helps to deliver Web content that can be accessed through the Internet.
- -6.7% of Apache websites noticed decline in 2012. Whereas, IIS websites saw 32.4% growth, NGINX websites pointed 36.4% of growth and 15.9% growth for Google websites was noted in 2012.
Domain Names Statistics 2012
A domain name is an identification string that defines a realm of administrative autonomy, authority, or control on the Internet. See the trending things which happened in this field last year, 2012
- It’s quite amazing to know that there are 246 million domain name registrations across all top-level domains. 104.9 million by country code top-level domain name registrations and 329 top level domains.
- Domain names by .com (100 million), .net (14.1 million) , .org (9.7 million), .info (6.7 million) and .biz (2.2 million).
- The biggest domain name registrar in the world, “GoDaddy.com” had 32.44% of market share and the most expensive domain name “Investing.com” was sold for $2.45 million in 2012.